Flattr developer update #1 – Responsive

In the process of creating a new Flattr experience responsive design is obviously core. Time to show the first iteration of the design and UX for what is to come.

Simplicity and usability will the main focus in this update. The mobile web demands the removal of clutter. That is a good thing as it forces us to make the hard choices. A lot of things will go, some will stay, few will be added.

profile

Profile will be cleaned up and focus on letting you express yourself. It will scale gracefully on mobile platforms.

simpleTo the left is the transaction history in full size desktop version. The main drop down menu is also visible. To the right is a sign in screen showing that the mobile versions will not just scale but also degrade gracefully to handle the screen estate better. The main menu on top of all pages are the one you get when logged in (obviously should there be another one on the sign in screen) and as you can see it also adapts to different screen sizes.

This is how things looks on the drawing board right now, nothing you see here are final and feedback in the comments are welcome.

Until next time!

Comments

10 Responses to Flattr developer update #1 – Responsive

1. Alias says:

This looks cool! I really look forward to see this implemented on the live site.

2. Cyber Killer says:

Mobile this, mobile that, I’m sick of it! Can’t it just die already? This + it seems the ancient art of making different css to use per screen size (so workstations get normal webpages, not mobile ones!) is sadly lost to history on the modern internet. :-/

Simply speaking: I don’t like it, it looks too much like a phone webpage. I hope you left a normal checkbox on that login page in the normal size page. Them slide’y things are wonky when using a mouse.

(And you kids get off my lawn :-P. I’m only nearing 30, but I feel like an old geezer on the web nowadays…)

3. Linus Olsson says:

Cyber Killer: So mobile first is not just the technical solution of giving different devices different CSS. It’s about thinking mobile design first and desktop second. Something that mean eg that the mobile version should not lack features or be another version of the site. But rather the main site. At the same time, yes it’s a buzzword ;)

4. greg says:

Yes, it’s seems pretty cool! But I have a big question:

When will we see it going live? And, for this revamp will you stop focusing on english? I think the biggest Flattr problem, and why it is not a reknown system, is the languages. Yes, there is a translation, but partially. (and not really pretty, people have to look on the interface to find it. And, all CGUs, terms are not translated You have to work on this. People like to see interfaces in their own languages (especially the french ones who dislike the others). With the main focus on the english and not other, Flattr will stay a stuff for geeks.

5. Linus Olsson says:

Greg: To be honest the translations sucks because it’s super hard to do it great, we have learned that now. This also mean we do not plan to translate the new Flattr at all. People have to live with English only for the foreseeable future probably.

Terms can never really be translated as the translation never can be the legally binding document.

6. greg says:

I understand this, but I think it’s a bad decision for flattr. For many people, languages are a great barrier, and big systems wouldn’t have their succes if they focus on one language (Twitter, Facebook,… wouldn’t be a “star system” if they stayed only in english).

If I say this, it’s because i really like Flattr, and want to see it growing ;) I know that some of my readers don’t use Flattr only because it’s in english and translations are not good visible.

7. Pingback: Pourquoi Flattr risque de ne pas devenir un « star system » – L'Antre du Greg

8. Alias says:

Any chance of using CrowdIn, as with the past version?

9. Linus Olsson says:

Crowdin did not really work that well, but they have an inline translation tool now. If we where to translate I bet we would look into other options too now.

If we where to do translations, it would probably only be German.

10. Pingback: Why Flattr may not become a « star system » – L'Antre du Greg